Tuesday 25 September 2012

Work In Progress

I thought I'd share more detailed posts about my work in progress since my process has been evolving lately and I always love seeing how other artists/designers/illustrators do things too.

So, this first WIP is a pic for the upcoming DACS charity exhibition in NYC this November. The theme is 'Reclaim' and the brief centres around an interview of a sex trafficking survivor about her experiences.

I started looking at women in pop culture, mainstream media, ads etc. since the representation of women in these channels often get criticised for the probable affect/impact they have on violent attitudes towards women. I chose this Rihanna ad for Armani cos I imagined stuff bursting out of her chest/stomach, like guts or a crazy animal or something.



Then, as usual, I started messing around, doing rough sketches, trying to get the posture of and weight of the figure right and to generate some ideas. I used ink for these since I really enjoy using them lately.

Once I got the hang of the kind of lines I wanted for the figure I tried out this type idea, using words taken from the interview (some directly, some with a bit of creative license). I quite liked the effect so played around with the idea a bit more to get a composition I like. The text tells the story backwards from the top, so it's a message of hope and then as you go down it gets darker and reveals the roots of it.

Next I got the coloured paints out and did a bunch of variations. I did some on Photoshop too but wanted to get comfortable using the brush for the type, so I just repeated myself. 



And... that's where I'm at right now. It will most probably end up something like the pic below, but the text will be in colour and some other stuff will be going down too.
Give me a shout in the comments if you have anything to say/ask about this stuff. Hope it was good... and that I get to do more! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!